If you have good network signal for your WaterGuru SENSE, but you experience frequent disconnects from your home Wi-Fi, there may be an issue with your home network setup.
When a WaterGuru SENSE device has good network signal (RSSI) but frequently disconnects from WaterGuru servers or fails to upload data to WaterGuru servers, this is usually caused by one or more of the following reasons.
Router type – Mesh Routers
- Mesh routers use a single SSID that broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals. The WaterGuru SENSE like all iOT devices only operates in the 2.4Ghz range. The WaterGuru SENSE works best when it is connected to a dedicated 2.4Ghz network.
- Mesh routers may disconnect the device from the 2.4Ghz signal when they find a stronger signal even if it is in the 5Ghz band. When this occurs, the WaterGuru SENSE disconnects and may be unable to reconnect to your network when it is time for the next daily water measurement.
- If you have a mesh network, you can take steps to resolve the issue. Please refer to the Mesh Network Help article.
ISP (Internet Service Provider) DNS issue
DNS or Ad-Block issue with your local network setup may occur if:
- The ISP modem/router provided to you by your ISP has default DNS settings that block data uploads to WaterGuru's servers: pod-server.waterguru-prod.com, s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
- Note: Some customers with newer models of Cox and Comcast Xfinity routers have experienced this issue.
- You have made changes to your router:
- You have enabled port blocking on your router
- You have modified the default DNS of your ISP router
- You have configured pi-hole as your DNS server
- You have configured pi-hole to block in-App advertisements for your local network
- You have configured your router to block WaterGuru's servers: pod-server.waterguru-prod.com, s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
Here is how to resolve:
Change your ISP’s router’s default DNS settings to use Google or other Public DNS servers. Refer to your ISP's router User Guide or Technical Support for assistance.
- Google Public DNS
- Primary, secondary DNS servers: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- Primary, secondary DNS servers: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
- Primary, secondary DNS servers: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
If you have enabled pi-hole, disable pi-hole as your DNS server
If you have enabled port blocking on your router, disable port blocking